Chicken, Veggie & Rice Soup
Filling, soul warming and delicious - what more could you want from a soup? Now I should warn you I found this out the hard way that the rice (obviously in hindsight) continues to absorb the soup after you make it. So if you are serving this for guests (I suggest you find yourself another meal because Im sure you can do better than chicken soup) but if you are cook and serve it the same day. When I stored this in my fridge as my meal prep it does absorb a lot of the liquid and end up being a very thick ricey stew, but delicious all the same. Just don't be horrified when you open the leftovers and you have a jelly like soup. Warm it up and it tastes amaazing.
Okay so if i haven't put you off it by now, here's the recipe:
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 onion finely diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 3 celery sticks diced
- 3 tsp vegeta (or stock powder)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- 1 L chicken broth (use low salt because the vegeta has salt!)
- 1 L water
- 1kg chicken lovely legs
- 2 zucchini, diced
- 1 cup basmati rice
- Place oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery for 5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and cook for a further minute
- Add Vegeta, stock, water, herbs and water into the pan with the chicken.
- Cover and simmer on a low-medium heat (some bubbles but not crazy) for 45 mins - 1 hour.
- Remove the lid and add the rice and zucchini. Cover and simmer for 15 mins or until rice is cooked.
- Remove the chicken from the soup and shred with two forks.
- Add chicken back in and serve soup with some parsley on top.
Don't forget to tag me on Instagram in your recipe creations! I love to see what you guys make.